Monday, March 29, 2010

Rob Suggests Frozen River


My friends Laura and Michael recommended Frozen River to us a couple of years ago. They said it was one of the best movies they'd seen in a long time, etc. etc. But they always seem to appreciate more meaningful, serious movies more than I do. I usually crave something on the light side when I finally sit down to watch a movie. And the plot as described sounded rather bleak. Anyway, I only recently got around to seeing Frozen River. It's a wonderful film. Yes, the setting is bleak and the characters face all the grimness that poverty has to offer, but the strength and spirit of the two main characters left me feeling hope rather than depressed. I don't want to give too much of the plot--for this movie at least, I think the less you know beforehand the better. The movie is set in and near the Mohawk Nation, which spans the US-Canadian border--a perfect spot for smuggling. Ray is a single mom making minimum wages and trying to raise 2 boys. Lila, a Mohawk, is trying to make enough money to raise her own child. There aren't a lot of options...
I didn't realize it until I began to write this, but Frozen River won or was nominated for a bunch of awards--for the writing, directing and especially the acting. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment