Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mike Suggests: Sugar

I had first heard about this movie about a half-year ago from the Boston Globe's report on new DVD releases, and had it at the back of my mind to watch when I had the chance; and am I ever glad I found some time last night to watch it. Sugar is the story of a young Dominican pitcher with dreams of making it big and going to America to play baseball. He finds his chance after learning and perfecting a withering pitch, but the story is about baseball as much is it is about emigrating to America. And if you'd like to know more about the link between Dominicans and baseball, you might check out Mark Kurlasnky's (author of Cod and Salt) newest book The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Marcoris.

No comments:

Post a Comment