Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rob gives a thumbs up to Carl Hiaasen


I was driving to Vermont a couple of weeks ago and I waited until the last minute to try to find a book to listen to with my two sons on the way up. I ended up choosing a book I really enjoyed, not really remembering if it was appropriate for 10 and 14-year-olds. The book was Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen. For those who haven't had the pleasure, Hiaasen specializes in nutty characters and bizarre plot twists wrapped around an environment-friendly message. He's very funny. Nature Girl features a wacky/wise single mom intent on teaching a civility lesson to a telemarketer who has insulted her during dinner. So back to the car ride. I knew the kids would like the humor and the environmental message (they'd already read Hiaasen's young adult books), but I wasn't quite sure about the sexual content. Not to worry though. There were sexual allusions, as there usually are in Hiaasen's novels, but they were brief, mild and humorous. All of Carl Hiaasen's novels are available in a sound format and all are guaranteed to make your drive shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment